Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Movie Review: Mystic River

I have to agree with the New York Times: Clint Eastwood does seem to be a whole new man. There is no gratuitous violence in this movie. There is, however, plenty of gratuitous emotion. There is no denying the powerful performances in this film. Kevin Bacon, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Laura Linney, and Marcia Gay Harden are always good - but in this film, they are incredible. Penn is especially riveting, playing an Irish mob boss whose daughter is found murdered. The film is largely about how these adult men deal with the violence in their community, after having experienced it as children, Robbins directly. (I was at times reminded of the film Sleepers - another Bacon project - at several times.)

I just couldn't help but feel impatient - and then felt guilty for feeling impatient - with the excessive emotional scenes. These are Oscar-quality performaces. A 19-year old girl is murdered. Everyone is, of course, devastated. There is a lot of mourning onscreen. We see not just the sadness and grief, but we see how each of the different personalities experiences it, and we see how they are all filtering the experience through their own personal histories and viewpoints. It's psychologically riveting. It was just a bit much for me. Maybe it's because I was tired, the end of the workday, a Tuesday night, whatever. I felt like I should have been better able to empathize. Instead I found it indulgently maudlin.

When they started unraveling the murder mystery piece by piece, I was riveted. This is a great, well-crafted whodunit. The end is positively chilling. I won't say anything more about it.

So, Clint, you've done a fantastic job of showing us that there's far more to your understanding of violence than "Dirty Harry." And the core, by the way, composed by Mr. Eastwood (Paint Your Wagon isn't his only musical credit!) is beautiful and appropriate. I highly recommend the film - but be prepared for a lot of uncomfortable feelings. The quality of the acting makes it seem extremely intimate. Disturbingly so.

And, damn, Sean. I mean dammmmn. Were you always this good? I wish I had seen your other films. Maybe I'll go check out Dead Man Walking and I am Sam.

No comments: