Saturday, November 11, 2006

My Hard-Won Diploma


Diploma
Originally uploaded by MzOuiser.


It's official. I have graduated from Massage School. I am now eligible to sit for the New York State Licensing Exam on January 20th. Until then, I can still work legally if a Licensed Massage Therapist hires me on sponsorship. I have a couple of opportunities out there already, so I might be working sooner rather than later. We'll see.

I wish I felt like raising the roof, but frankly, after all the crap my class went through to get here, it seems anticlimactic. No matter. I didn't go into this for the sake of a graduation party. I went to the school so I could get the piece of paper I'm holding there, which will get me another piece of paper. So I can earn money doing something semi-meaningful.

I already miss some of my classmates. I had a group of women to hang with, and we all sort of bonded, especially in the last few months. We talked all the time. I didn't realize how much I had come to see them as a support system until I knew I wouldn't be seeing them anymore. Oh, we all have each other's numbers, but it's like work friends, or theatre friends. The job ends, the show closes, we don't see each other anymore. I'd like to think I'll stay in touch with a few, but time will tell. Maybe we will.

I'm mentally exhausted, but physically I'm in better shape than I have been in years. That's the nature of massage - you have to be healthy. Giving a one-hour swedish massage is a workout. I'm hoping this flush of health I'm in right now will help me get off my ass and look for work.

This whole housewife thing I've been doing for the last few weeks has been surprisingly agreeable. I don't see myself that way, but I can't deny how much I've enjoyed having no responsibilities outside the home. Maybe I just needed a rest. It's hibernation time anyway. I normally nest this time of year.

So, for now... yay, I made it! I did it! WITH HONORS, I might add. "W00t." And the first massage since graduating went to my fiancee - his birthday was last Wednesday. If he hadn't been supporting me while I was studying - in all ways possible - I'd never have been able to do this.

Thanks, G baby. Love you more 'n my luggage. Let's go get married now.

4 comments:

drc said...

Congratulations!!! Now you can take some time to yourself before taking the Exam in January. Woohoo!!

cheapblueguitar said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hi!! It's Twister (Dalila).

Congratulations!!!

I know how hard you've worked for this.

Dr. Zoom said...

Congratulations! I'm very, very proud of you!