Wednesday, October 01, 2008

How do you eat an elephant?

The problem is, once you realize what's wrong, you can't always do anything about it right away. You have to plan, and document things, and build up to a change. Meanwhile you have to suffer through.

That's where the anxiety comes from. there are no quick fixes to the most important things in life. Unfortunately, the stakes get higher and higher. There are also no guarantees. So while you work toward your solution, all you can do is maximize your odds, and think positive. And be patient.

The progress bar that you see on computers is one of the most brilliant stress-reducers ever created. I wish I had one for my job. For a lot of things. For waiting in lines. For health.

I think I have one in my head, for life. 47% of the way to death. And counting.

Right now, I have one in my head, ticking away the seconds until Thursday at 10:30 am. I feel like there's not enough Xanax in the world to calm my nerves while I wait.

From an external perspective it's not a big deal. But I'm having a rough time managing an out-of-body experience right now.

Well, shit.

I never got a confirmation for Thursday. The meeting might get postponed.

You try one thing. See if it works. If it doesn't, try something else. Repeat until something works.

No comments: