Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lunch Tuesday: Corn Chowder and Far-Away Friends

The email which I sent today, to my former lunch buddies at my old job:

Today, and for the next several weeks, I am working at that company with the great cafeteria again. For lunch today, I am having "Jersey Corn Chowder", which is a rich, buttery cream soup full of vegetables, including corn, which is not really a vegetable, but who really cares when it’s swimming in buttery cream soup. I am also having an organic field greens salad with tofu and balsamic vinaigrette, and chocolate pudding for dessert with a fresh blackberry on top. All for less than four dollars.

For dinner tonight, on my 1/2 hour break from class, I will be reheating a frozen organic vegetarian burrito.

G's car, which I am still driving, as my Buick needs new tires, will be dining on the cheapest gas I can find in New Jersey, which is usually at the Mobil station on Route four in Englewood. The Arabic gentlemen who man the pumps know me by now and actually say "Good evening miss" when I pull up to the pump. They do not smile, but then, they're pumping gas at 10:30pm on Friday nights. I hardly expect joviality.

My car, as it's been hobbling on a donut ever since my front right tire blew out two weeks ago, doesn't need to eat much, as Gardiner only drives it from the house to the train station in Nanuet and back again - a few miles a day.

My cat refuses to eat anything but Cat Chow, which pleases me because it's cheap. As much as I love to refer to Marge as My Little Girl, she clearly did not spring from my loins, for if she had I would be forced to buy her Eukanuba or Science Diet or some other exorbitantly-priced gourmet cat food, to the exclusion of all else. Of course I avoid discussing this with my vet. I live in an artsy-fartsy vegan-organic how-can-you-feed-her-that-grocery-store-garbage type of town, and at some point my vet will probably try to guilt me into switching her food. Not this year, but it's going to happen. You betcha.

The only things I can really talk about are eating and sleeping, as work is dreadfully dull, and school-talk involves multi-syllabic words such as neurotransmitters and glossopharyngeal nerve dysfunction, etc. etc, and really, aren't you feeling sleepy already?

So back to food. I purchased a bag of the new Hershey's Kisses with Peanut Butter, and plan to try them this evening. My serotonin levels are rising at the very thought of it. I'm hoping they'll taste somewhat like Reese's. Maybe better.

I miss having y'all to eat lunch with. The salad tastes so much better shared.

hugs
Ouiser

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'll join you - as I'm eating a salad right now. From home. With tuna.

I know - it's the life of a rock star. I can't help it!