Wednesday, February 25, 2004

From Cigarettes to Opera

I will be singing Zerlina in a concert production of Don Giovanni this summer. Last weekend, I purchased the score. The director has mandated that we obtain copies of the Barenreiter Publishing Company's version. Which is, in truth, the best there is.

Many people don't know this, but opera text - and even sometimes notes - differ according to the publishing company. I myself was appalled when I realized this. For example, Publisher X and Publisher Barenreiter both produce copies of Mozart's Die Zauberflote. I bought from Publisher A because they were cheaper. Also because the opera is written entirely in German, and Publisher A's version has an English translation under the lyrics, which I think is fun. So, as I was singing along at rehearsal one night, one of my lyrics goes (I warn you, mein German ist krappen, this WILL be misspelled) "Der elten segen verden sein," which roughly translated means, "We will be so happy." Well. In Publisher A's score, they have "Der elten sorgen verden sein." Apparently segen means happy, and sorgen means sad. WHAT!? "We will be so sad?" That's a huge textual difference! So the moral is, if you want to do opera right, it's not worth skimping on the cost. (The English translation wasn't very accurate anyway).

So. Mein direktor insisten zat ve get zee Barenreiter score. However, it is $70. It has to be imported from Germany, and usually takes weeks to obtain. Now, I happen to be close friends with a guy who knows a guy who owns a Music store. So not only did I get my copy in about 15 days, I got a small discount. AND! I was also informed by the smugly grinning store owner that I am now in possession of one of only three copies of the Hardcover edition of the Barenreiter Giovanni existent in the United States. THREE!? Yep. Three. In the Whole Country of USA. And one is all mine.

I feel like a real professional here. You know you're a real working artist when you spend more money on your craft than you will ever make.

When I bought the Barenreiter score of Zauberflote, I decided to hang onto my old cheap inaccurate one. Most of it is correct, and since I'd like to sing some other roles in that opera someday, it may behoove me to have two different copies of the score, one with Papagena's part highlighted and the other with Pamina's.

I feel now would be a good time to mention that this is just a hobby of mine. I do not get paid for this. I just love doing it. And I happen to be in with a fantastic group of singers, many of whom are professionals, some experienced, some budding. Our Musical Director is unbelieveably talented and a blast to work with. Singing with these people is an absolute joy. Zerlina is by far the largest role I've ever sung. I've sung Puccini, Bizet, Strauss (Johann and Ricard), and Mozart, all tiny roles, mostly in churches and a few nursing homes. I grew up singing musical theatre, majored in acting, and completed a performing arts academy program here in New York. Most of my life everyone assumed I would be an actress or performer of some sort. I guess I did too, until I realized I actually had other skills that I could feed myself with. Singing is the greatest soul-feeding activity of my life... but the industry? Bleeccchh. Forget it. I ain't willing to pay those dues. So, I have a "normal job," and je chante pour moi meme, as Carmen says. And, like Carmen, It's probably not just for my pleasure, but pleasure is really all I get out of it, and there are plenty times when it's the only thing that gives me pleasure... so it's more than worth the money. $70 for the score. $40 CD. And, because I'm singing a principal role, this time it's $350 to the Director! Often I need a new dress to sing in - hopefully not this time!

I am so strapped for cash these days - like everyone is - that at times my stress levels rise to unhealthy heights. I do two or three workshops a year though - last year I only did one, and this year, just one. But what a great one it will be. This expensive hobby is the one thing I refuse to give up. I have basic cable. I cancelled my home telephone and just use my cell. I might get a manicure once every two months, to buck up my courage before a special occasion when I have to be around my judgemental family. The last time I bought clothing was last August - and that was a dress for Zauberflote. I hardly ever eat at restaurants, unless of course I'm on a date and someone else is buying. ;) I remember a time when I smoked - cigarettes are now over $7 a pack!! Thank God I gave that up. I used to go to hip-hop clubs and drink a lot of martinis - easily $200 a weekend. That was all over a year ago, before I moved out of my husband's apartment and started life all over again for myself. Now there are weeks when I have $10 to eat on. I think I bought Starbucks once or twice this past year. I used to get them every day. As yuppies go, I rough it. I like it. It's worth it when I get to sing.

No comments: