Friday, December 08, 2006

Christmas Meme

From Dalila's Blog:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Egg Nog at Christmastime. Hot Chocolate anytime.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Both, usually between 10:30pm and 2am.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White. And no goddamn blinking.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
At Home in Illinois, we have a plastic bunch from the 1970’s, that’s good enough. In my New York apartment, I don't need gimmicks to lock lips, especially when there's cocktails in the house.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
It’s a good year if they’re up before Christmas Eve. I leave them up for awhile though.

6. What is your favorite Christmas dish (excluding dessert)?
Mom’s yam bake, with pineapples and Marshmallows roasted on top.

7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child?
My cousins in Connecticut had a two-story tall tree. When I was four, I could walk underneath the lower branches without stooping over. I’d look up between the branches and see the star on top, and wonder how they got it all the way up there. Later, Grandma and Grandpa would secretly show me which presents under the tree were mine, and sneak me a piece of chocolate from my stocking.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I figured it out myself. In fact, I can’t remember a time when I genuinely believed in him, but I do remember noticing at a very young age, maybe five or six, that Santa’s handwriting was exactly the same as my Mom’s. I do remember wanting to believe. And I remember when my parents thought they were breaking it to me gently that he didn't exist. Idiots.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Christ no, is nothing sacred!?

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
At home, we get real trees, usually about seven footers, and trim them with with homemade ornaments going back three generations, plus a few fancy ones that were gifts from loved ones. In my little New York Apartments, I have a small fake tree, and a much smaller selection of ornaments.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
I like it if I don’t have to be out in it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Quite well, actually. I wish I went more often.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
White roller skates with red laces and red wheels! I was about 10 or 11, and I wore them until rollerblades were invented.

14. What is your favorite Christmas Dessert?
Tough call. Mom’s pumpkin pie is awesome, but give me a plate of my special homemade Christmas cookies and I’m in heaven. I make several kinds every year.

15. What is your favorite Christmas tradition?
Caroling.

16. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
They’re good if you stir your hot cocoa with them.

17. What tops your tree?
At home, we have an angel from the 1970’s with a plastic head, and an olive green felt-and-cardboard skirt. She sits sideways on top of the tree, and always looks drunk. At my apartment, I use a six-pointed silvery plastic snowflake, which is my attempt at multicultural kitsch.

18. Which do you prefer -- Giving or Receiving?
I just wish I had more money to send people things. I feel guilty as hell sometimes. Not to mention that so many gifts seem compulsory. Someone gave me something, so if I don't give them something I'll look, well, gauche, I suppose. But really, who doesn't love getting stuff? And "stuff" doesn't have to be wrappable - a surprise visit or a long phone call is often the best present ever. So I like both, but have problems with the whole fucking concept, really. GOD, THE PRESSURE.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
No way could I pick just one. I listed a bunch of them here.

No comments: