Friday, October 17, 2003

Yesterday a friend gave me a ride to the Metro North Station. For some reason, the little shuttle bus wasn't running, so I hopped a ride. We soon discovered the cause of the bus's delay: there was a horrible traffic jam, caused somewhat indirectly by the flooding in Manhattan. Well, since we were stuck in traffic, of course the conversation turned to baseball... and I learned that my friend is a Boston fan. Shouldn't have surprised me, I knew he was from Boston. He's also a stereotypical intellectual Boston type who seems to know the history of everything. He took the opportunity of an enclosed space to rant for a few minutes. I realized that I may be the only person in our immediate "crowd" who can listen to this objectively. To me, baseball, although thilling to watch, and fun to play, is, after all, in the grand scheme of things, just a game.

>GASP<

No, really. I can't help it. There are wars going on. There are people in this country killing each other and getting away with it. I have very sick family members who I care deeply about and can only pray they'll be alright. My cat doesn't seem to be able to stop throwing up. All these things matter a great deal more to me than the outcome of a sporting event.

That said, when I woke up this AM, and the first thing I heard was exciting, drama-filled music, I knew the Yankees had won. The first thought that ran through my mind was "my poor friend!"

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy sports. Some of my older friends would never believe it, but I've gone to several Yankee games, a Mets Game, I've seen the Nicks play at the Garden, and had a great time. There was a time in college when I could sink a basketball with respectable accuracy and distance. I've watched the Packers win in a sports bar, cheering over hot wings and beer. Heck, I have a Yankees T-shirt in my drawer! I have as good a time with this as anyone does. It's just that I never feel the agony of defeat because, really, to me, it's just a game. Hearing someone say scornfully "You're not a REAL fan" just doesn't bother me. My identity comes from plenty of other sources.

And, I know there are people who turn to sports to very important, excellent reasons. That's great, that's one of the best things about sports. It helps kids find a way to get through school, find self esteem, discover their own talents and self-respect. It's a great escape, like a good novel is for me or a great movie. (Oh heck, a great salad, who are we kidding.) I think all that is great! I just don't feel it myself. I don't begrudge anyone. I get it! It's just not for me.

So, New Yorkers, congratulations! Boston Fans, wow. You came so close. That's huge in itself! And Chicagoans, come on. Everyone tries to grab that ball. Don't scapegoat the poor guy. If he was a ten-year old - like at that Baltimore game a few years back - nobody would be making death threats. Come on. It's a game.

But it is fun to win. :)

No comments: