Monday, March 02, 2009

Surprise Snow

We were warned about this one. I saw it on Google Calendar's Weather Widget - New York will wake up to several inches of snow on Monday. Yup, here it is. Several inches of thick, beautiful snow.

It had stopped precipitating by the time we woke up at about 6:30, so G just had to do a little shoveling, but not much. Our town managed to get the plowing done in a timely fashion, at least from what I could see out the window, so his stress this morning was minimized. I, on the other hand, get to sit in my heated apartment and meditate on the beauty of a world draped in white.

As I've typed this, it's started snowing again, just lightly. I want to go out there and lie in it, let it cover me. It looks so warm and soft, like a freshly made bed, all white sheets and fluffy pillows and fleecy blankets.

There are some big gusts of wind that come along now and then, blowing the powder that's accumulated off the roofs and out of the trees. It must be frigid out there. I had planned to go to the gym again today. We'll see how the roads are.

If the roads are bad, I'll go for a walk, bundled up in my long johns and heavy down coat and timberland boots. The street behind my building goes past a small park, where you can sit on the rocks and watch the Hudson River roll by. Days like this make me want to take endless pictures of the landscape. The ice floating in the river, the trees heavy with snow, random objects poking up from the ground, attempts to capture the way the wind blows everything sideways. I'm not primarily a shutterbug, but the snow brings that out in me.

I can hear someone shoveling outside.

Today's off to a good start.

Shoutout to Pua, who should be nearing the end of an ordeal today! Much love to you my faraway friend... sending strong, healthy vibes your way.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I love waking up to several inches, don't you? Snow, on the other hand, is a pain. ;-)

That park near you sounds lovely. If I lived where you do, I think I'd be there all the time, at least in good weather.

And yes, poor Pua is having quite a time. I'm sending all the good thoughts I can her way!

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

Your description of the beautiful snow makes me think that it's not as bad as I remember. I wish that I could have appreciated it back when we lived in Sioux Falls, but I just remember being out in it, shoveling it, and completely horrified. Oh...wear your scarf Missy!

Thank you for the loving thoughts. They're getting me through.