Monday, October 30, 2006

On the 6 Train

MzOuiser: Excuse me - do you have the time?

Elderly Gentleman: It's just before noon.

MzOuiser: Thank you.

Elderly Gentleman: I take it your cell phone isn't working?

MzOuiser: The battery is dead, and I forgot to wear a watch.

Elderly Gentleman: You own a watch?

MzOuiser: Yeah, a few, actually!

Elderly Gentleman: I didn't think young people wore those anymore!

MzOuiser: I'm not as young as I look.

Elderly Gentleman: Neither am I, dear.

We both laugh

Elderly Gentleman: I must ask - does your watch have hands?

MzOuiser: It does. And no numbers, so it's a good thing I know how to read it. It also has a leather strap with a gold-tone buckle. It was a gift from a friend.

Elderly Gentleman: Ah. And you have to replace the battery from time to time?

MzOuiser: Yup. But I can buy a battery at radio shack and do it myself - I don't have to take it to a jeweler.

Elderly Gentleman: Good for you. I hope you have that watch a long time. It might be worth something someday.

MzOuiser: Maybe.

I got up to leave, as we had arrived at my stop.

Elderly Gentleman: Nice Talking with you!

MzOuiser: My pleasure!

As I left the train, the gentleman actually tipped his hat to me.

That watch was actually a freebie from my old days at the Seagram Beverage Company. It has the Seagram logo on the face. It's quite classy looking. I was reminded of my grandparent's cheap bedroom furniture, and how I never realized how cheap it was until after they had passed away, and I got a chance to examine it critically. Grandma always kept everything polished and looking nice - even if it wasn't worth much objectively. It was a matter of pride.

I felt much the same about working for Seagram, helping to make sure Seagram's Coolers were in every licensed Wal-Mart in the country. I also remember telling someone that if more people drank coolers instead of Wild Turkey or Jack Daniels, the country might be a better place. A condemnation of sorts, not so much against the beverages themselves, but the habits of their target market.

Thinking about the habits of the urban cell phone user, I realized I was proud to be identified as a watch wearer. I felt a bit smug, walking to my appointment that day.

There have been times I felt that I was born several decades too late. I love the graciousness associated with a slower time, when writing letters was considered an art, when personal visits involved conversation and a pot of coffee. When musicians had to play instruments that differed little from the ones their grandfathers used, and singers had to really, really sing. And I've always gotten a kick out of hats and gloves.

For a few minutes, I felt that I'd gotten a breeze of that way of life, taking a local train uptown with plenty of time to make my appointment, talking with pride about knowing how to read an analog watch. Having a gentleman speak sincerely to my face, and tip his hat.

Just a few minutes can make your whole day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Delightful post, young lady. Good day to you, Miss.
:)

drc said...

I miss being able to wear a watch. I have an entire collection and drool over new ones all the time.

Kieran O said...

Great post, darling! I too miss that era, when gloves, hats, and watches were more than just things. I find myself dressing more formally as I get older. There's a sort of comfort in it. I tip my hat to you.