Monday, January 29, 2007

Voice From My Past

Strangledcrypoem # 1
by Jaqueline Jackson
(reprinted from the Illinois Times)

I DON’T WANT A CAT
I DON’T NEED A CAT
but tell me more


Jackie Jackson was an early influence in my life, both in writing and in theatre. She always seemed to have these avant-garde ideas, stuff that nobody else was doing, stuff that a lot of people didn't quite get, but that I always thought were brilliant, even at the age of ten. Typical artist. Nowadays, she's a professor Emeritus at the University of Illinois, and contributes to the Illinois Times, the paper I always check out when I go home to see where the blues bands are playing.

Springfield, despite how often I trash the place on this blog, isn't really all bad.

(BTW - I never realized until today that Jesse Jackson's wife has the same name.)

No comments: