Friday, February 23, 2007

Fooling Myself

Two weeks ago, I had the flu for seven full days. It took all of the following week and weekend until I felt better. As of yesterday, I felt like my old self again.

However, strangely, this week I'm awake at 7AM three days in a row, and falling asleep on the couch at 9:30 at night.

I am experiencing an identity crisis. I'm the one who sleeps until noon and stays out until four. At least... I used to be. Suddenly I'm an early bird?

I suspect that the fact that I haven't drunk coffee on a regular basis for almost three weeks now has something to do with it. While I was sick, I subsisted on constant fluid intake, which included decaffeinated tea - like a pot a day - ginger ale, and various flavors of Fruit 2o. I ate virtually nothing but fruit all week, with the occasional slice of toast with peanut butter on it. By the end of the last two weeks I had lost two pounds.

It's also true that over the last two months, I've increased my workout intensity at the gym. As Ingrid once pointed out, it makes me wonder how much more severely my illness might have gripped me, were I in worse shape. The fever broke after seven days, but the lung gunk lingered for an additional eight. It's finally gone, as of last Wednesday afternoon.

I've sure all this has my body feeling somewhat confused.

I don't really mind this early to bed, early to rise thing. Maybe it thinks I'm one of those healthy people that works out really hard, and eats really light, healthy meals. Isn't that cute?

However, next year, when the wedding is over, and I'm pregnant and eating everything in sight, won't that be fun.

For now though, my Peppermint-Ginger tea is ready, and I gotta get to the gym.

No comments: